About Me

My photo
Bespectacled with a body so thin A face that hides a sardonic grin!!

Thursday, May 14, 2020

Universe Conspiring Mane Story


This may sound absurd but it is a true story. I never had a fascination with long hair since childhood. The shorter, the better was always my myntra. My parents took it in their stride or they accepted me as a tomboy. All through my growing years, I had maintained my short hair look.

It was during my pre-university time, my grandmom visited us and decided to stay back for a few months. During that period, we found a long lost connection and all she requested was to see me in long hair. I budged. As she was around, it was not difficult to maintain my mane.

During my graduation and the first few years of my employment, I had hair till my shoulder. There were few relatives who thought I looked good with that look. Opinions matters during that stage. One fine day, I went ahead and shortened my mane. What triggered that action, I still have no explanation. That look stayed for a few years.

I succumbed to the pressure of elders as they thought no suitors will agree to my hairstyle.  Around the late 20s and early 30s, I got inspired by the straight hair look and went ahead and got my hair chemically treated.  That was the worst decision I had taken, not only it was a costly affair but also it damaged my hair.

My rebel soul woke up again and I went ahead to shorten my straightened locks. There was no looking back again. Many did tell me to be more feminine and to grow my hair but this time I was very determined.

I had shifted to the US and that stint really was a revelation. The female who is supposed to be the "man" in the lesbian community adorns such a hairstyle. I was approached by many females in clubs and pubs as they misread my hairstyle.

When I returned back to India, I had this deep desire to be this typical Indian girl in kurta pyjamas, bindi on her forehead, and neatly partitioned hair.  But I had become so used to my short hair and its hassle-free maintenance.

With the corona scare and the nation under complete lockdown, and no parlors opened, my hair has started growing. I feel that this is the way, the universe has conspired to get me what I wanted.

No comments: