About Me

My photo
Bespectacled with a body so thin A face that hides a sardonic grin!!

Monday, November 17, 2008

November 14th – Kuch Khatte Kuch Meete Pal

My friend’ birthday falls on November 14th also known as Children’s Day or Chacha Nehru’s birthday. I have been wishing him for the past few years. I did the same thing this time too, but alas my call was never answered. He never returned me a call too. It did irk me big time. The middle class mentality of losing out some cash for returning calls is still persistent among us. Anyway I won’t give up and will continue to do the generous act of remembering and wishing friends/relatives on their birthdays and D-days. On a lighter note, I spoke to another friend of mine to remind him about our common friend’s birthday, he just said “Hey did you realize something? November 14th is exactly nine months after Valentine’s Day!!!”. I couldn’t quite suppress the famed sardonic grin.

This day, I was running down the memory lane and felt quite nostalgic. November 14th was always celebrated with lot of fervor and ebullience during my schooling days. It was the only day when students were allowed to wear dresses of their choice. It was day when students exhibited their talents and were awarded for their excellence in extra curricular activities. All of them used to wait for this Red letter day.

I called up my Chemistry teacher. I was not sure whether she will remember me as it has been more than a decade since I have caught up with her. I wasn’t a bad student, rather a very obedient, disciplined one. I dialed her number and said “Hello ma’am. I am X, do you remember me?”. She said “Of course, how are you? How is your sister doing?”. I was totally taken aback because my sister was two years senior to me. Also, she enquired whether I still have a thin frame or have I gained few pounds.

She was quite ecstatic and excited to speak to an old student. She has taken a brief hiatus from teaching to spend more time with her family. She assured me that next time if she happens to be in Bangalore, she will definitely meet me. I could feel the horripilate, for this was the best Children’s Day I ever had. Thank you Ma’am, you played one of the key roles for what I am and where I am today. The world needs more teachers like you.

In the evening, I headed for home, sweet home to make it more special for my parents - my creators, my greatest pillars of strength.

1 comment:

Divya Venugopal said...

Good one. Rekindles one's lost childhood days.